Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"Fine young wine"

I heard this phrase while in Bordeaux, France, touring the countryside and its finest wineries. Although, I'm no Sommelier (wine expert), I have always understood that wines are best when aged to their prime.



In France, however, I learned that some wines, if made from exceptional quality grapes, can be superior even at a young age. So, there are some wines in particular that may be more desirable than others (and taste unbelievably better), even though they may be no where near their prime, nowhere near as pricey or not be produced by a well known, experienced wine grower.

So, I now find myself living in a new city (Los Angeles, California) where I often feel like a fish out of water. The economy and the world have changed and I've gotten a new outlook on life. Things seem almost backwards at times. Instead of buying the most expensive, most well known brands. I am now exploring an appreciation of the little things, the chic, the newer, the less expensive. I still acknowlede the magnificent, the outstanding or the more exceptional. I also look for the same splendid quality and often to my surprise, I have found something more desirable, more exquisite, less expensive and probably not from a well known brand.

I am often reflecting upon on my experiences in the countryside of France and the simple yet beautiful way of life there. I'm drawn to this romantic idea and constantly finding ways to integrate it into my daily life.

No comments: